Tuesday 23 April 2019

A superb Easter Sunday at The Bwlch, South Wales

As most of you know I was up in Wales over Easter. I met up with Ian on the Saturday afternoon at his new home. The place was just amazing. The views were stunning and the place just oozed relaxation.
The next morning (Easter Sunday) Ian picked me up and we headed on up to The Bwlch. We met up with Steve (A470 Soaring) and Nick Rees. The wind was very light but luckily both Ian and I had our big winged floaters. We started on a slope called 'The Wrecker' and looking over the sheer drop and very limited option to land if you don't make it back on top of the slope, you could see how it gets it's name.
I rigged the Expro and chucked it off and luckily the lift was there as well as some nice thermals. Ian flew his Shadow and we played on the Wrecker for half an hour or so until the wind started to swing from NE to SE, so we moved up and over to the other side of the hill which is aptly named 'the back of the wrecker'.
This slope is again a very steep sided slope with no hope of landing anywhere other than back on top or you will have a very long walk down into the valley to find your model.
Nick flew his Blaster DLG and Steve flew his Multiplex electric glider. Lots of banter and time spent watching Ian show off in very light lift. It was sometimes a very big leap of faith to chuck your model off the edge and hope the lift was working.
The thermals were coming through thick and fast but with this good lift came the sink. A few times I had to dump it in short lower down the slope on top rather than get below hill top.
The lift became a little more reliable at times which meant I could even get to fly my Phase 6 in the stronger lift.
I really enjoyed the weather, the banter and the good company. I hope its not going to be too long before I am back up in Wales with my flying buddies and to catch up with Ian again. The Bwlch is a stunning place to fly with a flying slope in nearly any wind direction. Make the effort and go and fly there!

1 comment:

  1. Great report Paul, good to hear that Ian has found a superb house, etc.... sounds like a successful weekend.

    ReplyDelete