Sunday 7 August 2016

Sunday 7 Aug - I Blow Away The Cobwebs and Get Shown a New Bowl to Fly

Hi All,
Finally I have recovered enough from my surgery to make it to Mill Hill, plus I was given a clean bill of health by my surgeon last Wednesday (yippee).
This morning I met new member Bob Pattenden at Mill Hill where it was blowing SW at least 20 - 25 mph and the cloud base was very low (maybe 100 ft). However, I threw the Moth into the wind and it was lifting all the way to the clouds, likewise for Bob's new Wildthing which was so well built it flew straight and level on its maiden flight today without trimming.
I was doing landing practice after 3 months of not flying and all but 1 went well - the 1 which didn't go well saw the Moth about 2 inches from the road behind.
Bob too was getting his hand in again after a long time off, but he flew extremely well and with confidence (some of his landings weren't text-book, but it got down !!)
After about an hour Bob told me about another bowl further up the road so I followed him in our cars to the next bowl on Beeding Hill ...........





I never knew this bowl existed and it worked brilliantly in the SW wind but looks like it would work in a variety of wind directions. It was certainly a lovely smooth bowl to fly and the landings were so easy too. We were the only two fliers there, so maybe when we get another SW'ly we can go here instead of Mill Hill ?


Till the next time...
Rob

3 comments:

  1. Had a great time on the slopes today, last time must have been 15 years ago. Pleased with the Wildthing, it did struggle a bit to get off the slope but was more than happy to return home with some sketchy landings but its still flyable. I like the look of your Ninja Rob, looks like a quality wing so I got one on order. Glad you like the bowl, Ive only ever seen two other people fly there, it was always a quiet place.
    Good news you got the all clear Rob, thanks for the company.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've walked past Beeding Bowl many times and wondered if it'd make a good slope - must try it out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you're out and about again Rob - see you soon!

    ReplyDelete