Sunday 12 May 2019

Ridge Runt replacement

 
When my original Ridge Runt met its end on Wolstonbury Hill last year I decided this was an opportunity recreate this winged wonder with the modifications and improvements I had always intended for the mark one.
I tracked down a 'short kit' on eBay and requested the digitized plan and parts list. Unfortunately there was some breakdown in communication and plans did not arrive. So I dug out my original kit plan and decided to 'wing it'. Obvious differences in wing construction included front edge sheeting and a pre-slotted trailing edge; spar webbing came ready cut but was sized to fit between the spars instead of behind them. The slots in the trailing edge didn't match the plan, but I made the necessary allowances and built the wings accordingly - i.e. with an extra 20mm of span.
I had kept the carved parts from the original model and tried to include them in the new one to save time - this worked for the wing tips and canopy, but the nose cone wouldn't fit so (since the necessary balsa was included in the short kit) I made a new one.
My own modifications include separate aileron servos and a chamfered canopy to allow the wing to ride up over it if it meets an obstacle when landing. Glass cloth reinforcement will be added to the weak spots I found on the original, like the around the nose and where the fin meets the fuselage.
Happy landings
 
Russell H

6 comments:

  1. Hi Russell, it's virtually the same as my Coyote (like we discussed before), I have flown mine just once and it goes pretty well. I fixed my wing to the fuselage rather than use bands, otherwise they're identical I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very similar to the Coyote, except for the curved rear decking and taller fin.
      The removable wing will allow me to use the fuselage space below for fitting a micro elevator servo and adding extra ballast for windy days.
      It will be interesting to compare the weights of our finished models - I think my Runt will be heavier due to the stiffer D-box sheeted wings.

      Delete
  2. Interesting setup suggestion from 'SpeedsterDEN' to maximise the aerobatic performance of the Ridge Runt, would work for the Coyote too:
    "Use 2 aileron servos and set them up as flapperons, and with snap flapperons.
    And with plenty of up ailerons when giving Down elevator, then it will fly inverted and do inverted loops."
    Well worth a try, especially after you see Den's Ridge Runt video on YouTube...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Russell I have used 2 servos for ailerons, so I can program them however I want. Maybe next time I bring it along you can explain what you mean ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm rubbish at programming transmitters, it will take me hours to figure it out on my Hitec Flash 7 and that won't help you if you use a Spektrum tx. But it broadly means that the flapperons go up when the elevator goes down (and vice versa I expect), this neutralises the lifting aerofoil and allows inverted soaring and rolling without falling out of the sky. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yl-nG91ISc

      Delete
    2. Thanks Russell, I might try it some time...….

      Delete