Monday 7 November 2016

We all would like to Improve, right?

Landing Clinic

 
I think most of us would agree that the landing part of our hobby seems to create the most stress and worry of most peoples flying today.
You learn the basics of control and then you master the launch but the landings seem to be different every time and if we are lucky we manage to land somewhere near where we wanted or if not so lucky end up in a long walk or even a broken model.
I have been flying for many years and I still get it wrong and get caught out by the curl over (sink) the wind gradient or one of the many other factors that can catch us out when trying to land.
I was always taught that you should practice your landings and not just make one attempt when your hands are frozen or you have to go home.
So, I would like to offer my services with the help of others to demonstrate, discuss, help, re-assure, mentor what ever word best sums up an offer to improve your landings.
I'm no expert but until an expert appears on our doorstep myself and Ian A aim to help improve those landings which will hopefully improve your understanding and enjoyment of flying RC gliders.
We can buddy you up to one of our transmitters to be with you on the sticks. We can talk you round the circuit but I think everyone of us should take a few moments before each flight and think about your landing before you throw your model off.
Pre-flight checks - Inspect you're model out before you chuck it off. Do all the controls move in the direction they should? Do you have enough battery charge within the model to fly safely, Wind strength, site conditions, landing area, other hazards. All these and probably more should be taken into consideration before you launch your model. If you are not sure then don't launch and ask for some advice / assistance.
Lets make this hobby safe and enjoyable guys.
Please let me know if you would be interested in joining in on a 'Landing Clinic' below in the remarks section. We need to keep improving and pushing ourselves but we need to do this safely!!
 
I have spoken with Ian and we will aim to start these landing clinics this Sunday if at all possible with a de-brief down the pub afterwards to discuss any issues / progress over a pint and a sarnie (if you wish).

My idea is that we have a chat / briefing with those who want to listen before we / you take to the skies. It's not mandatory and its being offered with improvement in mind. Mine as well as yours.

With understanding will come more enjoyment!



9 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, As you know I haven't been flying very long and would certainly benefit from a lesson.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul. I would be very grateful for some tuition with landing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not too good at landing so I fly foamies, because I fly foamies I'm not too worried about landings. So yes, a bit of landing tuition would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been flying for years and I still struggle with landing. Mostly I think because each day we fly, the wind conditions are different. So with a mouldie with flaps, and a good blow going on, I tend to activate crow too early, misjudging the models distance from me, and so I end up landing yards away. In a light breeze, the same model will take longer to slow down because there isn't the wind resistance on it and I end up over shooting.
    With foamies I've learned to give two clicks of down elevator trim just as I'm beginning my landing sequence and then adjusting the models attitude on the stick, so once I am flying into the wind on my final approach, the model naturally wants to go down when a gust of wind might ordinarily make it rise again. So basically I'm holding a little bit of up on the stick and just easing that off to bring it down. As soon as I'm on the ground, I add two clicks of up elevator so that I'm back to normal trim settings. But yes, after all these years I still get it wrong, but thankfully I rarely break a model on landing. Touch wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve for your advice and input. I think we all struggle with landings at times no matter how long we have been flying.

      Delete
  5. Some landing tuition sounds like a great idea.
    I often fly fairly flimsy balsa models and have developed a landing technique whereby I let the model decide (roughly) where and when it wants to land. A few low passes over a flatter portion of slope will offer an opportunity when the model is low enough and slow enough to touch down safely, preferably in an area of soft undergrowth.
    A brisk walk to pick up an intact model is part of the pleasure of slope soaring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that sounds like just the right technique for landing floaty balsa models. These sometimes have less control near to the ground and take the opportunity to land when and where you can. Thanks for your input.......

      Delete
    2. Great initiative. Count me in. Thanks!

      Delete