Thursday 29 December 2016

Kloudrider - finished


Finally found enough energy to get off the sofa and finish the Kloudrider. The basic build went together very quickly but the canopy, radio and covering really slowed me down but its finally done. I guess early radio and servos weighed quite a bit more than today's, I had to add 150g of air gun pellets in a plastic bag to get the balance right, the wing was mounted slightly further back than designed but it still need lead in the nose. The overall weight is 1.2kg which puts it about 100g over weight but considering the amount of extra ply and balsa addd I'm not unhappy, a fair bit of glue was used too.
Overall its a very easy plane to build (apart from the canopy) and they are still available on ebay as a short kit.

5 comments:

  1. Well done Bob, it looks magnificent. I wouldn't worry about the weight, it's only 100g more than my PMP Sierra and that has a 63" wing span. You could figure out the wing loading in ounces per square foot for general comparison purposes, or just lob it off a windy hill and enjoy it. Happy landings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good with that colour scheme Bob. Let me know when you take her for her maiden and I will come along and get some good video. Well done Sir!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob, I really like the finish, it looks excellent - make sure it stays that way on landing !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments, I bought this model on a whim but have had a great time building it, I would encourage anyone to give building a balsa plane a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob. Looks great. The colour scheme is reminiscent of the Air Cadets? I'll look forward to seeing it on the slopes soon! Cheers, Roger

    ReplyDelete