Sunday 28 April 2019

Taking Advanatage of the Dyke

This morning I was unable to join the group who were flying, but took advantage of some last minute found time this afternoon.
I arrived to find a constant NWW wind of around  16 mph, which I think is a perfect strength for my SAS Wild thing 46 and a handful of hand gliders.
I've found my wild thing struggles below 12mph and you have to work the best of the lift you can find to make it fly at its best.
These conditions were perfect for me, I did my pre-flight checks and found my elevons were out of position, this is an issue I am having every time I flying this model, but with the advantage of dx7 I quickly made the required changes.
I had installed some cheap metal gear servos from ebay (tower hobbies, probable fake) during the build, I was suspect about them and before installing them, I had done a function check and made sure they centred.
The strange thing I had on a previous flying session, was I  had to use some sub trim to make corrections, but this flight had to take it all out to centre the flying surfaces. I plan to replace these servos in the future.

I launched the model, trimmed and had a great time, there was loads of lift, joined by the local birds of pray I had the best flying session with this model yet, carry loads of speed I was able to run low passes, rolls and it would just soar straight back up to do it all again.

I am finding Devils dyke is one of my favourite flying sites, when its not busy with Para gliders and people, it has a nice wide open slope so you can see all around you and a large flat landing zone.

 

1 comment:

  1. I have the previous version of the Wildthing 46 with the sort of diamond shaped wing, which is much broader that the current view. My experience of this new version is that it is slightly faster than mine but mine will easily fly in 7-8 mph winds, when the new model will fall out of the sky. If you can find one of these older versions up for sales somewhere then I would snap it up.

    ReplyDelete