Friday 19 April 2019

A Good Friday's flying


I arrived earlier than expected so decided to cross the road and go to our normal flying location only to find a solitary paraglider trying to inflate his flying wing without much success. I moved further across the ridge which provided some deconfliction between the two of us. I made a few attempts to fly my Wildthing without much luck. Scott joined me with his Weasel and Me163 Komet.  His Weasel flew very well in the light conditions and he even managed to attain some considerable height at times and even mixed it up with the local bird life in a weak thermal. As the morning advanced the wind strengthened and we moved further across the ridge. I managed to get my Wildthing flying but I stayed close into the top of the ridge as the lift was still very weak which allowed me the opportunity to land quickly if required but I must admit I had to recover my aircraft from the lower path a number of times due to the lack of lift or maybe it was my lack of experience. Scotty managed to fly his Komet but also suffered a similar experience to me with the lack of lift but he managed to land within view. He persevered with the Weasel and we had a pleasurable flying session in the very nice warm weather with both our aircraft flying around at the same time. It was now getting very busy with walkers, cyclists and such like so we decided to return to the cars where we met two guys from Switzerland who told us they were here practicing for a F3F competition and were staying locally in Eastbourne.

2 comments:

  1. Good write up Tony, thanks.... I think we've met those F3F guys before (or certainly people like them - maybe Germans) who come for competitions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write up Tony. I don’t know why they declined when you offered to swap your Wildthing for one of their “cheap” mouldies!

    ReplyDelete