Sunday 25 November 2018

Wolstonbury Hill Sunday 25th Nov

Hi All,
Today Paul and I decided to venture to Wolstonbury to see whether we could find some lift in the ENE - NE wind forecast.
We arrived at 10:00 and had messages from Nick G and John M that they would be there too. Luckily I had brought the club Spectre for just such an eventuality.
When Nick and John arrived we set off up the hill and Paul tried to fly from before the gate in the bowl there, but decided that beyond the gate would be better.
We set up just beyond the gate in a field of young bulls (bullocks I think), but they didn't bother us and we were soon joined by Robin A.
Paul brought his Highside and Ninja, I had my Ninja and Phase 6, Robin had his Lidl glider and home made wing, John M brought a 60" Wildthing and Nick had the club Spectre (he has a Wildthing waiting to be built).
We all started with the foamies except Paul who flew the Highside which was lovely to watch as it's so graceful. The foamies were all over the place weaving in and out of close proximity to each other - Paul joined in with his Ninja and we then had 4 foamies all in the same airspace at once - but no accidents. Robin flew the homemade wing with all these others and it was pretty busy as there was only a narrow area of lift today.
John and Nick were practicing their landings and doing very well and Rob set up the Phase 6 and Paul then flew it for a while - here's some video of Paul flying which I took.....
I then flew it for quite a long time but asked Paul to land it for me (chicken).
Our mate and fellow club member Bernie J turned up with his dog Harvey and stopped for a short chat. It was good to see Bernie again.
Everyone had a lot of flying and nothing got broken , so that's a result really !!
Weather was a bit cool and threatening at times, but as Paul said " It's winter !"

Rob

3 comments:

  1. Nice write-up Rob. Well illustrated with the video.
    I can hear Paul saying that the Phase 6 flies so much better than that other thing - was the "other thing" the Highside by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Russell! The Highside wasn't performing so well in the lighter lift. The Phase 6 is so much more efficient and cleaner flyer than the Highside but they are really two completely different models and prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Russell, Thanks. I know Paul likes the Highside, but it has its limits and the Phase 6 is superior in these conditions. This one is made by Tim for Paul, who sold it to Adam Smith who sold it back to me !!!! I'm glad I rescued it.

    ReplyDelete