Monday 19 November 2018

General Catch Up

Hello all

I really enjoyed the sloping session up on Wolstonbury Hill yesterday. We had a great turn out with lots of good flying. The lift was good and strong but a little bumpy at times. For me Wolstonbury is a great place to land. Lots of area behind with nice air to drop your model in safely. We had a few new members up there with Martin and Rob W. Martin sharing some good stick time with Scott on the buddy box. Martin did really well. Rob P showed us some decent landing and James did really well in the 28mph blow. James could well be the future of our sport and his flying is coming along really well.
I flew my 'Highside 2' balsa built glider, which did really well in the strong winds. Its a bit of a brick but very stable to fly and to land. Scotty suggested the 'Highside 2' could make a good 'mass build'. Not my suggestion - blame Scotty!

So if you are Interested (already shared within our WhatsApp group) here are the details.
While building mine, I took a load of pictures and created my own build log - http://slopesoaringsussex.blogspot.com/p/highside-glider-build.html
The plan came from a free plan in the November 2016 RCM&E
Image result for november 2016 rcme
You can buy the magazine here for £5.99 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153266606567?ViewItem=&item=153266606567
Now when it comes to the material needed to make the kit then SLEC offer a complete wood kit: http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/Highside-Glider-CNC-Pack-PRC001.html for £49.87 plus P & P.

As I have said, the 'Highside 2' glider is not very efficient (a brick - 55'' 1397mm wing span) but I found it an easy build if you work through the build in stages, as per the RCM&E write up. I got a real sense of achievement from the build and its always something that I enjoy flying. You don't always need to hack around with a mouldy. Sometimes it nice to enjoy something different. Anyway, If you are going to follow Scotty & Martin who I understand have already ordered their plans then please let me know and we could start another 'Mass Build' page for everyone who is building one to post their progress.

WhatsApp Club Group
Just a quick note about the WhatsApp group as we now have 19 club members joined to the group. I understand there are some that just don't like to be part of online group chat things (and that's perfectly fine) but if you don't have a modern smart phone then you can still join the group via your PC. I think the WhatsApp group will become very popular and you will be kept up to date in live time. ''Who's doing what and when'' in real time. 19 group members out of 28 club members is a very good result.

2 comments:

  1. I have tried downloading WhatsApp to my Android tablet, result incompatible. I tried it on my laptop PC, it asks me to point my smartphone at the screen to link to my existing WhatsApp application... Not your fault Paul. I'm going back to 35mhz, tissue and dope, these new fangled what-nots are all too much for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some research and found a compatible version of WhatsApp for my Android tablet. I then registered my mobile phone number, it sent me an SMS text with a code number to input into my tablet - and, using Paul's invitation link, WhatsApp now works!

      Delete