Saturday 30 June 2018

Cycle Assisted Slope Soaring

I'm a great believer in the principle of 'keep it local', and I like the idea of popping out for a quick spot of slope soaring without a lengthy car journey. My favourite local slope is Wolstonbury Hill, just two miles from my front door and a lovely spot for gliding when the wind is from the northeast.
I can walk all the way in under an hour or park at the bottom and walk up, but why walk when you can ride...
Cycling up Clayton Hill was tough going, with the added aggravation of heavy Friday-morning traffic, the driveway up to the Three Greys stable was steeper still and when I reached the bridleway I gave up pedalling and pushed on to the top. At which point I was greeted by a chorus of skylarks, which made it all seem worthwhile.
After a short breather I unpacked my specially adapted two-piece-wing PMP Stage 2 Mk2 slope soarer...
...and spent the next hour happily flying and knocking off the tail-plane with heavy landings.
Eventually I decided to take it home and fix the tail properly. With gravity on my side the return journey was much quicker and easier.
That afternoon, while the epoxy was setting on the Stage 2, I loaded up the Ridge Runt and Xeno (in nylon bag) to repeat the exercise while the weather was still favourable...
The wind was quite gusty and turbulent, but flying and landing these models was less 'eventful' since they are lighter and slower than the Stage 2. I'm told that the Stage 2 soarer can perform spectacular aerobatic manoeuvres, but unfortunately I (as its pilot) cannot, so I'm always looking for convenient opportunities to practice.
 
Russell H

3 comments:

  1. Hi Russell, I agree with you about keeping it local, unfortunately a lot of us don't have hills anywhere near us !!! I couldn't cycle to the South Downs - it's about 15 miles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Russell, I too like Wolsonbury hill but never know where to park at the bottom. I am happy walking up with models but after being politly asked not to park in the riding school car park have not returned there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin, it was mainly the parking issue which inspired the cycling option for me. There are a couple of laybys in New Way Lane, allow about 25 minutes for the walk to the top. I'm told that parking is possible in Pyecombe, but I haven't tried that.

      Delete