Thursday 22 June 2017

Decisions need to be made.............

Now the club has lost it's flat field and the level of Interest in slope soaring seems to have virtually dried up lately, myself and Rob were seriously wondering about the viability of the club.
Do we need a club  and do people want to be part of a club?
I know people are working in the background to try and find us another field to fly on (Rob S found somewhere, but the owner won't take the risk of us flying and Rob P is looking at a field in Cuckfield) but all the current members of Slope Soaring Sussex need to have a think and let us know their thoughts.
Either reply in the comments box below or send me or Rob S an email.


The club was set up to encourage and promote  RC glider flying but if there isn't any interest or passion to keep the club operating and as we don't currently have a field and the interest in slope soaring is waning then what's the point.


We have money in the bank and our constitution says if we wind the club up then the money in the bank would be evenly distributed between all current members or given to charity nominated by us all.
The decision is yours guys!!


See the poll in the top right hand corner. Its a straw poll but its a starter for 10.


We will have to hold a meeting in a few weeks to decide the general view and direction the members want to take.


Personally I am not bothered either way. I wanted to help grow the sport and bring people together to enjoy the flying together. If there is not the interest then lets pull the plug on the club and we can carry on as we are but without the hassle of having to do the blog, arrange flying venues etc etc etc......

7 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, As the Secretary, I find it a lot of work on behalf of the club, especially now I'm looking for a new field (not with any success since Mr Ventham turned me down)and my post announcing the loss of the present field got zero response from members ! So as we get very little feedback on the blog and hardly anyone turns out to fly, I am feeling a little disheartened like you. If members want to continue, maybe we can find a way forward which entails less effort and worry on my part ? I don't mind being the Secretary and enjoy it, but it seems a thankless task right now.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear all this! I've been away working for the last couple of years and haven't flown for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys I'd be gutted if the club folded. If it wasn't for the club then I'd never have had the opportunity to learn to fly and progress to even dream of being able to one day fly and land my own mouldie. You guys made dreams possible. It would be a real loss to the whole slope soaring community to lose this blog which has become one of the go to sites for interesting, informative and real-people focused slope info. I know I don't get out enough or express my appreciation as much as I should but for what it's worth I believe in this club and would love to see it continue. Still I understand the huge effort to keep it going and all the hard work going seemingly unnoticed in the background so respect your decision and that of the other members. I can't offer much but if enthusiasm and a shared spirit of adventure count then count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul. As you suggest, you've been very effective in growing the sport and encouraging people (in Sussex and around the world!) to practice slope soaring and share the fun. It could be argued though, that this has been achieved mostly through the blog, not the Slope Soaring Sussex club. Could this blog (or one like it) usefully fulfil that function without representing a BMFA-affiliated club?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi All. I am with Will it would be great shame if the club folded. I have been occupied with moving home and I have also been walking the South Downs Way over four weekends this summer so I have had very little opportunity to fly with you guys over the last few months. I too would love to see the club and the blog continue as for me being part of a club helps drive my enthusiasm and I would have not tried out different areas of RC gliding without the club. The blog is an invaluable tool for keeping in touch even if like recently I am unable get out and fly. I know that running the club and the blog takes a lot of effort and that’s why I happily volunteered to take over the treasurer role. Paul you do a fantastic job on the blog and as said before we need more members to contribute (me included in that). I am committed to other things until the end of July but I look forward to getting up the hill with you guys after that and hopefully with your encouragement Paul to progress with the Dragon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a member but was considering joining until the field was lost. I really enjoy the blog and the videos you post. I am a country member of BMFA but usually fly alone at Firle, Caburn or Itford.
    I'd benefit from company if only for advice as I am surprisingly bad at landing considering how much time it have spent on the hills.
    I can't imagine spending £700 on a mouldie any time soon but I still enjoy your antics online.
    I hope you carry on as a blog and at least an informal source of info and I would join for a small fee .
    All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your valued comments David. Was it you we met up at Itford on Sunday?

      Delete