Tuesday 26 June 2018

Mini Vec Rebuild (part 2)

Hi All,
After many months I have re-started on the Mini Vec rebuild.
In the previous episode (back in January), I had got all I required to rebuild the model and had installed the ballast tube and made a new servo tray, installed the servos and that was about all.

Now I have made and attached the rudder horn - made from a tiny piece of ply and glued with epoxy into the slot I had to cut for it (carefully) -


Next I had to run the carbon-fibre pushrod through the outer casing and glue an M2 coupler to it and attach an M2 clevis (not yet attached to the horn) -



Next I carefully located my newly-made servo tray and fed all the servo wires through it from underneath to protrude at the top ready for the receiver. Then I glued the tray with epoxy inside the fuselage making sure the wires and pushrods were well out of the way !!


Next, I glued the multiplex wing connectors to the outside of the fuselage -



When all this had dried, I attached the wings and tail (I previously had to adjust the fuselage holes to ensure a good fit) and connected all the servo wires to the receiver to make sure all the control surfaces in the wings still worked OK - which they did.
That's the progress so far, except I have measured the nose ballast weight from the shotgun pellets I got to ensure the C of G is good - I have decided to add 100g in the nose and will adjust the rest with stick-on weights inside the fuselage (like before).

Next I have to cut the pushrods to length and glue the M2 couplers onto them.
I have to epoxy the 100g nose weight into place.
Then I can put the receiver and battery into their final positions and set up the elevator and rudder.


For Steve H - in answer to your question - see pictures below - that's the fuselage side in the picture above. Once the other half of the plug is connected then the whole thing slots inside the wing - see below - 





Hope that answer's your issue Steve ??
The wing is held by 2 lugs which slot into the fuselage and a massive square section carbon wing joiner which goes through the whole lot

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rob. I noticed that you've fitted the Multiplex connector with that little lip protruding from the wing route. This could stop the wing sitting flush with the root, unless you have a cunning plan that I don't know about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Steve, That is the fuselage side in the picture, that part of the plug protrudes from the fuselage and the other half is in the wing and pushes right inside as per the pictures I have added above to the post, it does fit flush and the whole plug goes inside the wing. That's how it was when I got it from Tim H - see pictures above...

      Delete
  2. Gotcha, I thought there must have been a cunning plan :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, it's how it says to do it on the plans and when I broke the original fuse I downloaded the plans cos he new fuse came with nothing except the outer pushrods and canopy. I had to make / devise the rest....

      Delete