Friday 14 April 2017

Thermal Hunting Today

Not a huge turnout today at the field as many of you had prior arrangements but I met up with Ian and Graham for some electric soaring. A mixture of sun and lots of cloud made for some thermals but not a classic soaring day. A real challenge to stay up. Ian flew his DLG and nearly but not quite got away. The wind was playing its part also. We all flew our electric soarers giving us access to the higher up thermals. I flew my Spectra which again proved itself to be a superb electric glider and I had about 10 minutes motor off gradually thermalling downwards.
I enjoyed the few hours we had and learnt loads when flying the big Maxa. It will take a lot of practice to get the hang of flying a nice balanced thermalling turn which is needed to make the most of our UK thermals.
I think we are all (Graham, Ian and myself) looking to fly on Monday at Firle Beacon. Good NNW wind forecast and a good place to fly with a large landing area.

No comments:

Post a Comment