Tuesday 4 April 2017

Omega Progress Report #3

Time to tackle the fuselage...
I laid the 3"x1/8" balsa sheet under the plan, went around the outline with a pin and cut it to shape, then cut the 1/32" ply doublers to suit and glued them and the triangular corner strips into place. The two sides were then glued around the formers and nose cone:
1/8" balsa sheet was added cross-grain top and bottom, along with a cunningly constructed hatch and the whole unit was carved and sanded to shape thus:



The end result is very pleasing and puts me in mind of a shark on the prowl.
I'll think about reinforcement inside the fuselage where the wing tongue passes through later, meanwhile I'll start laying up the wing and thinking about how to add wing servos to this vintage design:
















Building an R/C model from a plan with no kit-of-parts or instructions is hugely rewarding but frustratingly slow with a good deal of pondering and planning before each part of the building procedure. I won't choose such an elegant and sophisticated design again in a hurry, the next model will be a quick and dirty one like the Ridge Rat!

Cheers for now, Russell H

2 comments:

  1. Hi Russell, I am enjoying these progress reports. I got an old scale Graupner Weihe (pronounced via), from Paul a while ago and I'm re-working the wings but at 2.8 metres, they too are a challenge. I have yet to start on the moulded fuselage refurbishment......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Weihe sounds great Rob, I look forward to seeing the before and after photos.

      Delete