Sunday 4 September 2016

4th Sept on Beeding Hill

Hi All,
Today Andrew and I went to Beeding Bowl at 09:00. We had spent quite some time yesterday setting up Andrew's models on his new Dx9, so today was the day to check out the programming, mixing, etc.. which Andrew worked out.
We took my Moth and Ninja and Andrew's Sky Cruise and Diamond. They all flew very well despite the conditions being blustery and the lift working near to the hill, but not so good further out.
Andrew set up the Sky Cruise with the video only to find that he'd left the SD card at home !!! Anyway the model flew well and the new flap programming proved very helpful. After 30 minutes we were joined by Bob P who had his new Scooter (from T9 Hobbies) and Wildthing. I had a fly of the Scooter and found it very good to fly and great at manoeuvring, it looped and rolled easily.
I flew my Ninja and Moth (not both at once !) and they both had the same issue with not enough lift further out from the hill, so I flew them close-up and had a great time.
A little later we were joined by Graham Triker who had his Orange Thing , Proxima 2 and Stork. Luckily Graham also had an SD card, so Andrew managed to get about 20 minutes of video from the Sky Cruise , but the flight ended with a stall and a nose-dive which will make great video !! (Sorry Andrew).
Graham was doing great things with his moulded gliders , flying way out and also behind the hill over the carpark and beyond. Bob tried that too with his Wildthing and landed in the trees in the carpark. We all chipped in and managed to find it. No damage and it flew again.
Andrew and I left at 11:15 but Bob and Graham stayed on. I hope all went well after we left ?

Altogether a great morning with some brilliant flying and the usual bout of retrieving models from difficult places - I really enjoyed myself, thanks to all who came...

Andrew will upload some of his marathon video (including the nose-dive I hope), a bit later today.

Rob

2 comments:

  1. Once again, a pleasure to watch Graham fly.
    As a returning newbie, I was practicing some landings and thought I was getting the hang of the landing approach when all of a sudden the the wind grabbed the model and dumped it on top of a ten foot tall thorn bush. Shame the lift was so variable otherwise I would have stayed a little longer. Didn't maiden the Apache, figured it was better to take it home in one piece and try again later. Had a great morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write up Rob. It was a fun morning even if the conditions were a bit challenging at times but good for learning. Glad you recovered your plane Bob.

    ReplyDelete