Sunday 27 September 2015

Yesterday at Ditchling Beacon

I don't think I have ever been up on the Beacon with near total calm conditions. It was 9.00am but virtually not a breath of wind to be felt. Out came my Libelle DLG for some launches into a beautifully clear sky with touches of a summers morning still lingering in the Autumn air. Well that's the end of the poetic rubbish. Jim wandered over and watched me splodge my way through the piles of sheep poo or bloody big rabbits - not sure!
As the morning went on so the wind gradually picked up. Scott turned up next armed with his Whippet DLG which nodded more than my nodding Churchill dog that I don't have sitting on the passenger shelf of my car. A little bit of down trim and it seemed to improve a little but the C of G needs bringing forward a bit. I broke my Libellee when I misjudged its height when returning low towards the barbed wire fence and I caught its gollocks (Fin) on the barbed wire (just like Scott nearly did when jumping over the fence to get his model but it wasn't his Fin he nearly caught on the wire!!). The next to arrive was Roger, who arrive from a triumphant victory while racing an eighty year old over a 5km course. Well done Rodge! I heard it was a close one?
By now Jim was relaxing a bit (just a bit) with his Whisper 2 channel glider. This went very well in the light conditions. Jim managed a very reasonable landing at the end.
Scott & I played silly beggars with the Zulu. I'm trying my best to pass on my bad habits and poor technique to as many people as I can.
The Omega made a few flights and enjoyed floating around in tiny thermals and very light lift. Message to Mts Scott (Scott been a very good boy, so PLEASE can he a have a Nan Omega for Christmas or at least a new DX7?).
We were then joined by 'Mill Hill Mike' and his friend. Mike tore up the sky with a lovely looking glider that flew faster than Roger finishing his 5K just in front of the old fella (by the way. As a ex Couch to 5K convert - Well done Roger. Proud of you son!).
We left just as conditions where getting really good but who wants to go flying when the conditions are easy and you can expect to stay up without any trouble? Now that would just be too easy.....
I had a good time and enjoyed the good company as ever!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tuition Saturday Paul. I showed your post to Siobhan and it definitely wasn't a "no way" so I think I could be in with a chance! A great mornings flying guys!

    ReplyDelete