Wednesday 12 February 2020

A very sunny and bright day at Itford hill with friends from the Sussex Radio Flying Club (SRFC)

I met Nick, Robin S and Steve a member of SRFC at the car park and we took the long way up to the top of the hill. By the time we had reached the top Mark was in already in the process of assembling his gliders behind the tree line at the top. This little bit of shelter gave us some respite from the very cold biting westerly wind. We had blue skies, full sun and the visibility was excellent. So, leaving behind the sanctuary of the trees, flying began. We were joined later by Colin and Derek from the Sussex Radio Flying Club (SRFC).
We all had a very enjoyable time flying around in clear blue skies and I counted five SAS Wildthings on the slope today one belonging to me, Nick, Robin S, Colin and Derek had one each. Other gliders flying today was Mark's RCRCM Vector which flew really well in the blustery conditions and he pulled off a number of super landings. Steve flew his Wisper and Derek displayed a Chris Foss Phase 2 glider circa 1969. Robin S flew his Aztec well in the challenging conditions. I concentrated as always on landing practice and again ended up in a tree but with encouragement and guidance from others I did manage to improve my landing technique a little by the end of the session. After about two hours I called it a day as it was really cold and departed the slope along with Nick leaving behind the other guys who were still enjoying the flying. In summary, a really good flying day but very cold.
My SAS Wildthing again in a tree.
View across the valley.
Flyer's getting ready to launch.
The glider park.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tony, great report from flying today, sorry I couldn't come, but as you know I have keep warm for the time being to avoid infections....glad our friends from SRFC came along too, it's good to mix with other clubs, Scotty, Martin and I often fly indoors at the Horsham club during the winter and sometimes on the slopes...

    ReplyDelete