Thursday 27 December 2018

Not a breath of wind!

Rob and John met at Ditchling car park at 9am as planned closely followed by me.  Paul’s forecast was spot on and there wasn’t a breath of wind, not even a murmur from the Christmas Day sprouts!

When I arrived Rob and John were heading off 100 yards or so from the carpark end of the east slope. When I joined them they had already carried out a glide test of John’s new Hobbyking DLG which was obviously successful as Rob was launching the model so that John could do some initial trimming.  John had done an excellent job setting up the glider and very little adjustment was required. We were all very impressed with the glide of his new model and he made the launches look effortless too.

Rob had his old DLG and left the maiden of the Loola for another day.  I had my (Paul’s) Libelle and Whipet (not dog!).  As well as flying the Libelle I had a little fly of my Whipet and with John’s help trimming the elevator had very good flight times as it floated around. Not bad for a £50 investment!

We all had a very good hour or so practicing our launches, circling round and landing as tidily as possible.  We also managed to have a few good catches on landing.

Rob suggested that we had a little competition of who could stay aloft the longest.  I came last which wasn’t the fault of the Libelle but more to do with my wimpy launches.  Rob and John were pretty close and extended their flight times with a little bit of flap. 

Nice to see Rob W who came up with his lovely dog for a walk and to see what we were up to.  Rob we have the club wing and transmitter, come out and fly with us and get some stick time!

It was a very good session despite the lack of wind and gave us plenty of opportunity to practice launching and landing. I certainly have the bug for DLG now. It is great fun and anyone that has never tried it should give it a go!

Cheers

Scotty









2 comments:

  1. First time at DLG and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to both for your help, advice and company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scotty for the great write up. I really enjoyed our 1.5 hours and the dlgs were getting lift from nowhere seemingly

    ReplyDelete