Friday 27 October 2017

The Limit Ex Maiden Flight

Hi All,

Today I went to Ditchling Beacon with the Limit Ex to maiden fly it.
Paul has flown his and found it twitchy in quite a high wind, it would roll far too much, so I toned down my ailerons to compensate for that experience.
I threw the Limit straight into wind and it went away straight and level, no trim needed - so far so good.
I wanted to turn left and as soon as I put in a little aileron, the nose dipped wildly and it went into a spin. I could not recover it from this despite trying my best at such a low altitude, so it landed a little way down the hill.
The model is fine - no damage at all, but it was very disconcerting to fly it with such weird characteristics.
I've never flown a model like it before - so unpredictable.
I have checked the C of G and the control surfaces and everything I can think of, but all seems fine.

I would be interested to see how the others come out in the air, compared to Paul's and mine.

I am prepared to be told what's wrong and have a go at fixing it, but my impression having flown many models, is that it's not good at all.

Anyway, that was the first and last time I fly the Limit Ex, move on to the next model ........

After that experience I launched my DLG and it flew brilliantly in the lightish wind.
I was joined by Richard W with his 5.3 mtr (yes - 5.3 !) ASW 22 and it was the bees knees.
From a distance the ASW looked just like a full sized glider and when it was making low , fast fly-bys it screamed and the wings were bending alarmingly - although at 5.3 mtrs you would expect that.

I left Richard there after 2 hrs and in the car park were a load of fliers getting models ready, but I didn't know them....


Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment