Saturday 28 October 2017

Itford Fun


Rob and I met at the parking area at the bottom of the hill at around 9.30.  Rob had his Phase 6 and his Moth and I decided to take my Weasel just in case the wind did not materialise and my Middle Phase which I had since February and never flown.  We started to walk up the hill and there was hardly any wind and it had not improved much when we made it to the top of the west slope.   Shortly after we were joined by Ian with his brightly coloured Super Starlight, M60 and Jart and then Russell arrived with his Sierra and newly built Omega.

With very little wind the only model flying to start with was my trusty Weasel.  The wind started to pick up so Ian gave his Super Starlight a go which floated around very well and only need a little blast on its motor to keep it afloat.  As the lift was sporadic Ian gave the motor a final blast to gain some height and with the whirr of the motor the model shot up like a rocket!  Russell then Maidened his Omega which went very well and hardly needed any trim adjustment at all, well done Russell! The wind finally picked up and Rob flew his Moth.

A couple of short videos of Ian’s Super Starlight floating around and with its rocket boost…



As the wind strengthened it turned slightly more north westerly so we moved camp over to just below the trees.  By the end of the session all of the models that we took had been flown and all had landed safely.  This included my Middle Phase which I landed safely with Ian’s excellent instruction.

All in all it was a great session, we all had fun and every model went home in one piece!


Scotty

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the write-up Scott. The gusty north wind on Sunday morning offered various soaring opportunities - I took the easy(?) option and cycled (mostly pushed) up to Wolstonbury Hill and flew my folding foamy 'Xeno' for forty minutes. It went well, although I had some serious competition from a steady stream of full size gliders skimming overhead.

    ReplyDelete