Saturday 1 November 2014

Anyone for sand dune flying?

Yesterday Clint, Graham and I spoke about the possibility of slope soaring sand dunes. I mentioned the nearest ones I knew off where down at Camber Sands in East Sussex.
Here is a little video of someone flying a mouldy off the dunes at a location in Kent.

Looking at Google Earth the beach faces Southerly and gently bends round SW. What do you guys think of taking a trip to the dunes for some beach soaring?
Do you know of any other dunes worth visiting in Kent / Sussex?
Here is a map link to Camber Sands if you are Interetsed: http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=595825&Y=118867&A=Y&Z=120
Here is a video of full size gliders and Paragliders soaring sand dunes in Holland.

5 comments:

  1. hi mate, probably a really really long shot given this post is 9 years old.
    Did you ever get round to flying here?
    Im keen to visit here with my speed wing to have a play.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, probabaly a really long shot, but... did you ever get round to flying here?
    I'm keen to get down with my speedwing.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zack, we as a club have not flown there to my knowledge and certainly not since 2017 when I joined the Club. If you do go and fly there please let me know how it went. Cheers Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tony,
    wow, really wasn't expecting a reply on here given the age of post... certainly not that fast!
    Ill definately be going at some point.. seems a decent site for some "wagga" type flying.. I need higher winds for my little firefly so will await the day and let you know how it goes.
    Cheers
    Zack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably even less chance of a reply now, but did anyone ever fly camber sands? Keen to take my speed wing/moustache there for some high wind soaring

    ReplyDelete