Friday 13 December 2013

Slingsby Kirby Kite (1/4 Scale)


This is my Slingsby Kirby Kite at 1/4 scale and built in 2002 from John Watkins plan. As with most of my models I don't follow the plan completely but as this was already a light design I only changes a few things. The model has a scale section and flies very slowly just like the full size which I have seen flying a couple of times at vintage rallies. The problem with this is that for slope flying the wind speed range is very limited and often lots of down is required to move forward. However I have winch launched it a few times very successfully and had many happy hours flying at aero-tow events. The photo was taken at Crookes Peak in the Mendip hills, Somerset just before the maiden flight at a scale comp. I was told that it would have won if I had brought along the scale documentation. It looks a bit tatty around the edges now but still flies well.

1 comment: