Sunday 1 October 2023

Great conditions for PSS at Long Man

 I met Robin Ad at the priory car park at 9.30 and we car shared to park at the usual Long  Man car park as parking is limited.  We also met Paul Hi and the three of us walked up to the slope together.

When we arrived at the slope there were already several fliers from other clubs with their models from various types along with some very good looking PSS models. Robin took his Bugatti and I took my ME163 which Raymond the organiser said he could see what aircraft it was meant to be so it passed the test to participate in the competition. Up to that point I had not realised that it was a competition and Robin and I had inadvertently entered!


The wind was pretty much directly onto the slope and slightly stronger than the forecast indicated but generally smooth conditions.


Robin flew first and his model flew very well and although the Bugatti can sometimes be a handful to fly, the conditions suited it well and Robin made it look very scale like.  The flight was ended with a very good landing from Robin towards the left hand side of the bowl on the limited landing area.


I then few my ME163 which I have flown many times however I have never really thought about trying to fly scale rather than flying it as another foam wing.  This was a refreshing change and I really enjoyed the challenge. My flight was ended  with landing by flying across the bowl and then turning into wind at the last second.


We were later visited by Kevin B who took a break from walking the downs.


Robin and I had a most enjoyable morning, good conditions, great flying and a great slope to fly from and nice to see Paul Hi and Kevin B. To top a great morning Robin was awarded second place in the competition and I was awarded third having both been beaten by a Lancaster… well done Robin!









No comments:

Post a Comment