Saturday 30 March 2019

Ashdown Forest Thermal Session

Ian made the long trip back from his new home in Wales to collect the rest of his models from my work and to go out and fly with his friends.
We made our way up to Bushy Willows car park up on the Ashdown Forest. Here we met up with Mark who had his powered glider rigged and ready to go when we arrived. I started with my DLG that on its second throw hooked its first thermal of the day and we were off.
Mark stayed on the flat but was soon away and soaring at height. Ian rigged his Shadow and walked to the edge of the very shallow slope which gentle drifted down probably dropping only about 100 ft overall. With a good chuck Ian pushed out into the valley and getting lower (well below the horizon and below our feet) he saw some birds thermalling above him. From a minus height above us he showed us how to climb away from just feet above the ground.
I had a great time with my DLG. One moment I hooked a really strong thermal and which I shared with 3 buzzards. They weren't bothered with my model and just got on with racing upwards with such elegance.
After a while I went and rigged my Maxa 4 (4 metre span electric thermal glider F5J) We were joined by Nick who took the controls and flew the Maxa around with much confidence.
Later we were joined by Kevin who had brought along his own design and built F5J which looked a real beauty.
Ian continued to show how it should be done and on one landing he brushed the heather and seemed to lurched back into the air with little speed and feet above the ground. Amazingly he headed out into the valley and found what turned into a very strong thermal / twister. I was videoing his flying and the wind got up so much that it blew mine and Nicks hats off our head and brought loads of dust and twigs with it.
Anyway it was a very pleasing time up on the Forest. Great to see Ian again and I look forward to meeting up with him again in just 3 weeks up in Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment