Monday 7 January 2019

The corner of Itford

A small group of us met up at Itford Hill yesterday. The wind wasn't really on the main slope so we moved the very corner (facing towards Lewes). I was joined by Ian, Scotty, Rob P, James and Robin. The lift was light but workable. I took up with me my Weasel and a tiny camera together with FPV goggles for some FPV slope soaring. Unfortunately, the Weasel wouldn't power up, so we taped the Small FPV setup onto the wing of my Ascot. Myself and Ian flew the Ascot very cautiously while Scotty was watching on his small screen. When flying the glider FPV we had someone standing right next to the pilot watching the model and ready to take over (all legal and sensible).
I took a copy of the BMFA 'A' slope test which we all went through at least once. The 'A' test isn't difficult or arduous but the list of questions you need to know are. Twenty questions you need to know and the examiner will ask you 5 questions.
The only issue which could be an issue is the model you chose to undertake the 'A' test. You need to undertake a rectangular circuit and land within 20 metres of a predefined landing spot (60'). It depends on what slope we use to take the test and you're ability to land in this defined landing spot.
Anyway, my aim is to run through the flight test every time we go flying and give as much help and assistance to anyone that wants it. I really would like to help you all achieve your 'A' badge and I am sure you will.
More training with Scotty, who managed very well flying Ian's Shadow and my Ascot. His confidence is growing and the landings are coming along well. It has to be said flying a mouldy with flaps makes landings so much easier than trying to burn off height with a foamy.
Rob P was buddied up with his son James at times and they flew various models and Robin flew his wing and tried out his 'A' test but the light lift was proving to be difficult but a good attempt Robin.
Next weekend is promising to be a lot windier, so I will be out again and practising my tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment