Monday 28 January 2019

Phase 6 Build with mods

Hi I thought I would start a build log of a Chris Foss Phase 6, from the photos you'll see I maybe be cheating a little, since I managed to pick up a part built kit from eBay.
As you can see from the instructions, I think this is quite an early produced kit, but still in great condition.
The kit is nearly complete and jut missing the closed loop rudder system and wing locating dowel.
The wings have been put together already but my plan is dismantle the trailing edge and mod the wings to install four servos in the wing for ailerons and flaps.



After much research on forums I have come up with a plan:

So the build plan is to rebuild the wings with 4 hitec HS-82MG servos installed in hitec round moulded plastic wing mounting boxes, wired back to the centre of the wing to MPX connectors, for quick wing installation.

2 Hitec servos in the fuselage for rudder/elevator.

Spektrum AR620 antenna less receiver.

2000mah Eneloop AA rx battery.

Switch Harness.

All covered in light weight fibre glass cloth and Poly-c resin, finish with a spray job to be decided.
 

6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following your blog . I just started building a phase 6 yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write-up Nick, well researched, keep it coming. You have to admire Chris Foss's attention to detail with his kits and instructions.
    I did a similar flap conversion to a Phoenix Models Sierra kit a few years ago. I spent many hours pondering the correct proportions of flap to aileron, I settled on 60% aileron to 40% flap. It looks and works OK, but I wonder if I should have allowed for more down-flap movement in the hinges - most of the slow-landing gliders I see show a lot of down-flap with minimal up-aileron...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi a lot of people have split the flaps and aileron 40/60 so that’s the way I’ll go. There is a video of a phase 6 on the Video link of Paul flying one Tim built , who I’ve also leased with for info, with flaps and works brilliant with crow flaps. So the flaps need to be top hinged to get maximum down travel. The plan could be strong clear hing tape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now need to get some new ailerons, they are not really a shop provided size. 3/8x2x36, so I am trying to get hold of Chris Foss for them. He says to contact him for spares in his website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taping the flaps to the bottom surface of he wing would allow for a drop of 90 degrees if required. But you might want to liaise with someone who has tried it. 3/8x2x36 trailing edge is available from SLEK - http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/Trailing-Edge-9.5-x-50.0-x-915mm----3-8-x-2--x-36---L471.html. The postage costs are high so it's worth stocking up with other useful bits while you're on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great rework, i know most people like to leave the fuselage as is, have you thought about adding 2x2 brackets to the inner walls of the fuse and sanding the entire thing to a perfect oval shape? this will provide a greater aerodynamic footprint and it looks a lot slicker. would love to see a final flight video.
    thanks and cheers from LA
    some of my builds, lets connect :)
    rc glider videos
    rc glider
    cheers from LA

    ReplyDelete