Thursday 9 March 2017

My E-Flite Opterra

Here is my E-flight Opterra with its new spray job. Took off all the fancy stickers and decided to go big and bold with the fluorescent paints (nothing new there then!). This thing is huge! a 2 metre wingspan and over a metre long.

E-Flight FPV Opterra
I Know its not everyone's cup of tea!
E-Flite Opterra FPV wing with a new paint scheme
The foam same acrylic paints are from Hycote and come in 400ml cans.
Hycote Fluorescent Foam Safe Acrylic Spray Paints
I used a top coat of clear lacquer which seems to have given a gloss finish almost.
Here is a picture of the Zippy Compact 5000mah 3S Lipo that will power this mighty beast. It fits really snugly deep into the nose. I have already prized out all the nose weight but I think I will need to put some back in.
Zippy Compact 5000mah 3 S Lipo Ideal fro an E-Flight Opterra
Next is to fit all the FPV (First Person View) gear. I will be using a GoPro 3 camera up front and possibly my RunCam 2 on top to capture another video feed. I have bought a Micro Vector OSD (On Screen Display) flight controller from Eagle Tree which will supply me loads on info during flight, such as height, battery voltage, distance away, mah used, vario and a very useful feature called a RTH or 'Return To Home' function. It works with a GPS and knows where it launched from and if needed will fly back to the same point at a pre-designated height. Well that's the theory any how.
I will post more as the setting up progresses.

Rob S has got himself one of these with all the FPV gear as well. I am hoping to be able to slope soar from the ridge and thermal soar from the flat. Given the sheer size of this thing I don't think it will have any problem slope soaring. We will just have to give it a go !

1 comment:

  1. That is certainly an improvement on the original colour scheme. I rather like it and might have to change mine from the drab blue decals it comes with. Can't wait to fly them both.....

    ReplyDelete