Sunday 1 February 2015

It's a long way but worth it!

Here is an account of Jef's flying today. He travelled all the way down from Essex. Thanks for making the effort Jef!

Paul / Rob
Thanks for showing me yet another slope today. The car I used is quite economical if you take it easy, so it only cost me about £12 in juice (+£3.34 in Dart charge), as it averaged 66.9mpg over the return journey.
The rough air witnessed in the first attempt to launch, (Paul did nothing wrong, the air was just being mean!) never reappeared, and the second launch was smooth as silk, a great launch.
Landing was sweet as a nut too, despite my fears. The blustering left the Calypso Contest (20 years old this year) alone and the model landed into wind, nosed into some fairly long grass, with brakes off for the last couple of seconds.
The only reason I had to stop flying was the full size activities were a bit worrying as I didn't have a lookout. The first pass they made (there were two of the same design) was at eye level and could have been disastrous.
Anyhow, I had an absolute blast and must have spent at least an hour in the air, so well worth the journey down.Good to see you all there, and while I wasn't with you that much, I did enjoy the camaraderie, and it was flattering to be recognised when I arrived! You (@Paul) were so wrapped up for the conditions, I didn't recognise you at all!
I had never worn full gloves while flying before, but elected to have fingerless gloves under full gloves, four pairs of trousers, five tops (tee shirt, cotton sweatshirt, jumper, fleece sweatshirt, and a zip up fleece) and two balaclavas on. I also had a transmitter mitt tucked inside my fleece to keep the breeze from penetrating the outer fleece's zip, and I stood behind a thigh high clump of gorse for most of the flight; so I was actually warm!
Best regards,
Jef

No comments:

Post a Comment