Sunday 12 March 2023

Beeding Bowl - Sunday 12 March 2023

I was the first to arrive at the designated flying site. On the slope I found that the actual weather was not as forecast. Using my anemometer it read only 8mph, I was expecting much higher, I know from experience that my SAS Wildthing needs at least 12mph to fly. I attempted several explorative flights only to have my original thoughts of my 12mph plus limit confirmed as the lift was marginal at best. 


So I decided to take a seat and enjoy not only the view but also the solitude and to contemplate the return of those Spring / Summer days as I could hear the Skylarks above. This peace was short lived as I heard a shout from behind "Oi you, Billy no mates" only to find other Club members had arrived, they were Nick V and Martin J shortly followed by Paul H.

Nick in Full Launch Mode with His MP

I briefed them on the current metrological conditions and luckily they had brought along light wind gliders, ideal for these winds. Nick V had his Middle Phase with a First Person View (FPV) attachment which was not operational today. In fact Nick tried to demonstrate to me how the goggles worked but unfortunately the battery was flat. His Middle Phase also struggled to remain up in the air but as he is a highly experienced pilot he managed to succeed. However, Paul's modified Lidls glider performed really well in the light conditions, even by around 10.30 am the wind speed was only 8-10mph. Martin brought along his, as he calls it the "Horrible Hacker" which as flew well. 

Hacker in Flight

Fortunately, for us as the morning progressed the wind speed increased significantly so by 11am it was exceeding 12mph which brings my Wildthing into play. By 11.30 the wind speed was increasing exponentially so by then we had 3 Wildthings and Paul's Hawk airborne, at last a great morning's flying. 

Paul's Hawk


Martin's Wildthing

The only casualty of the day was my Wildthing, I lost orientation of the glider and then noticed it was flying directly towards me, passed over me and landed fast and heavy behind me causing the fuselage to become detached from the wing, nothing some cross weave tape will not fix.



In summary, a slow morning to start but improved greatly during the morning and some good flying but even better company. Thanks to all who joined me on the slope this morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment