Thursday 2 February 2023

An Excellent Morning at Itford Hill

The actual weather was not as forecast, there was very little wind from the West. However, a club member already at Itford confirmed that it was just about flyable. On the way up to the top I heard and spotted my first Skylark of the year. Spring is only just around the corner.

Looking West

Upon getting to the top and having a few flights it could only be considered as marginal flying conditions. There was some lift but also a lot of sink, especially to the south of the slope. As the morning progressed the sun eventually came out and blue skies appeared and thankfully the wind strengthened. Club members attending today were Paul H with his modified Lidls glider and a rather nice RAF Red Arrows Hawk glider (See photographs below). 


Paul H in Launch Mode

His Lidls glider continues to impress as did the Hawk which flew very nicely. I brought along my old and battered SAS Wildthing and I must say that my landings are now getting much better. Kevin M flew his SAS Widthing and enjoyed the morning until he managed to park his glider on 2 trees simultaneously an outstanding feat of airmanship. His FMS Easy Trainer remained earth bound as the weather conditions did not suit it. Robin A arrived on his electric bike but alas with no glider, he just came along to see what we were up to.

Tony's SAS Wildthing

Erwin 5 - Star of the Morning

Kevin's Models

Mark J expertly flew his SAS Wildthing but the star of the show was without doubt his Erwin 5 which was outstanding, photos below. Mark also brought along a friend of his, Michael H who is a potential new member. Mark gave him the opportunity for some stick time employing the buddy buddy system using the Wildthing. I must say that I really enjoyed the morning on the slope and my thanks go to all my fellow club members for their company and good banter.

Mark J in Launch Mode

Erwin 5 - Flaps down to Land


No comments:

Post a Comment