Saturday 30 September 2017

From light Breeze to reasonable blow.

A mixed forecast was given for this mornings flying at Mill Hill. One forecast quoting blue skies and 12 mph SW winds and the BBC forecasting 5 mph SW and cloud and rain.
Arrived at Mill Hill to the later. Virtually no wind and grey cloudy skies but no rain thankfully. Met up with Ian and Rob around 9.30am. Pity no one else could make it. Twenty odd club members but only three out flying!
Rob had his DLG and I started with my lean, green, thermalling machine otherwise known as the Experience Pro but Ian went straight for his Euphoria with loads of ballast on board. Ian managed fine and conditions where soft but adequate.
Rob switched to the Zulu, but that wasn't doing well, then he and I both tried his Traceur, which performed OK in the light conditions. Rob then went off home as it was a wee bit chilly but Ian and I stayed on. The conditions went really soft with Ian now flying his Shadow and me still with the Xpro. So soft at times you could just about cruise along at 10m above the top of the slope.
Then as quick as the wind went soft it strengthened to what was a reasonable breeze. Out came the my Merlow and Ian's Jart. Good cruising lift around but not the best ever conditions.
We had a lucky miss in the car park as some old guy who had just bought a Wildthing and seemed to have no Idea flew his model right over the parked cars and towards Ian and myself. We ducked and his model came crashing down besides my car. I hope he was insured?
Anyway we had a great time with at least two hours solid flying.
Rain was on the horizon (literally) so we beat a hasty retreat all the way back to the Plough at Plumpton for a pint of Harveys.

No comments:

Post a Comment