Thursday 12 July 2018


Bit late but a great morning at Chantry hill on Sunday. 
It was a bit of a last minute call as I was going out later with Sue. By the time I rigged my old 3.8 Shadow  it was 9:30 and light north wind, enough for this model to fly around at 20m or so above the main bowl. But I wanted more as I was planning a cross country flight to Amberley mount and back.
After a few minutes the wind shifted and I spotted a Buzzard pop out of a bush to the east of the bowel. Now buzzards are very lazy when it is hot so felt sure this was a thermal and headed straight for it. Yes good strong lift took me well behind the ridge and high enough to head west. But only just the other side of the western edge of the bowl where I was held scratching about, even went down below the top in my attempts to stay in the air. Luckily as I pushed out in a do or die effort to find something, a thermal was starting and I was soon climbing again to a good height to set off west again.
The trouble with this time of year is that the trees are in full leaf and quite big making it quit hard to keep a good view of the model. That and the fickle lift made for some darting around trees and peering through gaps. One thing to remember is always have a landing plan in place, pick a landing area even if it’s small and never leave it too late to give up the flight. I was close several times but managed to fight it away in small thermals. The hill lift between Chantry and Kithurst car park is never great as the front of the slope is covered in trees and shrubs. It is also quit a long way north of the foot path making it difficult to judge where you are.
By the time I got to Kithurst the thermal activity was getting better and I could gain height in one thermal and head of west until I found another one. The trouble is the glider fly’s faster than I walk so lots of doubling back and flying back behind the slope front to be able to see it. The rising path from Kithuurst to the next obstacle is completely clear of trees so some pleasant stress free flying here.
The next obstacle is a copse at the top of the hill which is 40m long. Now I know Usain Bolt could dash through in a couple of seconds but it would take me 10 to 12 seconds, so I positioned the model pointing in to wind over the middle of the copse and with a couple of clicks of down trim in dashed threw, past some bewildered French cyclist, to find the model where I expected it to be. Try letting go of your sticks at the field for 10 second and see where your model goes, usually not where you think.
The section to Amberley mount from here is open land so you can walk through the field and enjoy the views. The thermals where getting very strong at time and I had to descend using brakes to get to a sensible height several times. By this time the full size gliders out of Parham where using the thermals so had to keep a good lookout.
I flew the model well past Amberley mount but as I was getting pretty hot decided to not walk down any further and turned for home. This was pretty easy compared with the out ward trip as the lift was massive only requiring a good look out and loosing height deliberately quite often. I found a way around to copse, all be it through some nettles and rough ground, which made it less stressful.
Back at the start at Chantry the gates to the field behind where open so walk all the way to the car park across the field before a couple of loops and roles to celibate and landed just over 2hrs after setting off on my 5 mile cross country flight and walk.
I was late home so Sue had gone to Wiston Steam far on her own, in trouble again!
Kevin

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin, Great write-up, a two hour flight and walk seems a bit daunting to me, but I suspect you're used to it ? I never know what to look for to find lift, so staying put on the hill is my usual way to guarantee a flight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant write up Kevin. I admire your resilience and determination. Look forward to flying with you again soon.

    ReplyDelete