Wednesday 1 April 2020

In these difficult times - some relief.............

I know we are all stuck at home with no immediate hope of getting out flying any time soon, I thought I would look back on some of the many different flying sessions and sites we have flown at over the many years we have been going.
I thought I would upload a video or two each day and share a few memories with you all.

So going back to the very early days I have found these for you.

October 2013 - The Bwlch (South Wales)
I  was flying on the Ice Cream Slope by Jack. Here we are flying the Flying Wings Ninja. The Ninja is a 60'' foam wing with corrugated wingtips. I still have mine tucked away somewhere. Back then this was my 'go to' model as you could fly it in very light winds but also you could push on out in a 50mph wind. I know this because Rob Stanley did in fact fly his in a 50mph blow at Mill Hill.
The Ice Cream Slope faces NW and gets its name from the parked up Ice Cream van that is located beside the slope. This is where I first met up with Steve Houghton from A470 Soaring. Steve has been a great friend over the years and I usually meet up with him somewhere either in Wales or down here in the South. 
We did have a flying trip booked to go flying at The Bwlch this month but as with most things in life at the moment it got cancelled.
I'm a huge fan of The Bwlch as it has big slopes that give huge lift in a wide range of wind directions. I have flown a fair number of the slopes up there in all sorts of weather but it never really lets you down with amazing views over the Brecon Beacons or across the Bristol Channel.
The Ninja makes a great combat wing as it does keep on flying even after a good mid air. Have you ever tried combat? Its great fun but its extremely difficult to deliberately hit another model. Trying to chase a model and knock it out of the sky really does test your skill on the sticks. 
October 2013 - Phase 6 Ditchling Beacon
A really breezy session up on Ditchling Beacon. This is my fully glassed Phase 6 Sport that had no flaps but went really well. I think Rob S still has this and its still flyable. I love the Phase 6 as its a 'do everything' glider. Looks good and also flies well. Over the years I think I have had at least 5 Phase 6's. With my latest one having landing flaps which can be a big help. The wind direction for Ditchling Beacon in NE with a small car park near by which is run by the National Trust. 
When ever I fly I try and practice as many landings as possible as I need the practice. Most models that come to grief usually get broken during the landing phase of the flight, so for me the more I practice the easier it becomes. Not that I don't ever get it wrong because I do but the need for a black bin bag is getting less as the years progress.

Anyway. I hope to add more posts each day to try and beat the boredom. Feel free to add a comment at the bottom but please keep it clean!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul, I remember the trip to the Bwlch, I got sick and left after the first day's flying in the howling wind and torrential rain. I must have been the jinx, because the weather cleared as soon as I left !
    Also, there is a video of me trying to fly the Ninja in a 50 mph wind somewhere in your archives, it was SCARY

    ReplyDelete