Sunday 5 April 2020

Here are some alternative videos that I hope you will enjoy

I've been scratching my head today to come up with something different for todays 'Looking Back' series. So I've come up with alternative videos that don't feature RC Gliders.

Back in the day when I was a member of the Mid Sussex Flying Club we used to hold regular Indoor flying sessions in a local school gym. The gym was small (just bigger than a basketball court) but we used to have loads of fun crashing into walls, other models in the air plus sometimes other pilots on the flight line. The models were super light and generally slow flyers. They tended to be feather light and would get damaged by just breathing on them of like the one in the video was foam and could take some impact especially mid airs. The props used to held on by a small O-ring and they easily dislodged on any sort of frontal impact which made them much safer than conventual power models.
Here was one of my favourite powered aircraft - The Habu. It was a ducted fan jet that flew on 3300mah 4S lipo and was easily hand launched but had a fast turn of speed but slowed down well to a gentle glide on landing. I did actually chuck mine of Ditchling Beacon (without any use of the motor) and I did use it as a slope soarer for a while.
Now here's something different - Its a RC Paraglider from Opale. The little guy had servos' in the arms which operated the guy ropes to make it turn left or right. If it was only that simple. The Paraglider does need to move forward to create lift from the chute. It took me ages to get it set up and this was probably the only time I got it to fly half decently.
and my final video is to do with gliding but not an RC one. Here is a DG1000 being flown from Lasham and doing a ridge run. It was lovely to watch such a graceful glider cruise past us at high speed. The pilot did get in touch with me and offered me a flight but as expected I never heard back from him again. That's a pity!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, I remember that small hall in Haywards Heath we used for indoor flying, some of us (me, Scotty and Martin) still fly indoors at Horsham club during the winter months, it's great fun.....
    I also remember you flying the Habu as a slope soarer , it went pretty well.
    Thanks for the great memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul
    I really enjoyed the Oathall video particularly as it was my maiden flight with the (yellow) slow flyer. After several nose dives into the floor and a furtive retrieval I eventually managed to stay airborne for a bit!!! Happy days.
    All the best

    Geoff Darling

    ReplyDelete