Monday 6 April 2020

My favourite flying site in the UK - Rhossili

Well how are you coping with the lack of flying?
I dont think I have ever been so long with not flying ever. Well for todays offering I am taking you to Gower in South Wales. To be precise we are going off to fly at Rhossili. This is my favorite site I have had the pleasure to fly at. It sits right on the coast above the most beautiful of sandy beaches and offers the most amazing views above the beach and out to The Worms Head. Many of you may have already flown at Rhossili but if you haven't then don't bother as I don't want too many glider guiders knowing such an amazing flying site exists. Its just - WOW!
So here we go with my first Rhossili offering...…...
The first video I hope to entertain you with is with my F3F. I was joined my good friend Steve Houghton (of A470 fame!). This model was really shifting in what was virtually a gale. Steve was filming for me and he kept up well.
This second video isn't flying the main Rhossili ridge but flying along the headland heading out towards the Worms Head with my Merlin / Willow 2 crossbred F3F which I call a Merlot. The wind was spot onto the cliffs so I had to give it a go. From the car park we walked along almost to the end looking over to the Worms Head and I landed just along from the Coast Guard hut. Great lift with amazing views plus a gentle stroll - perfect.
This third video is my of my 4m Valenta Carbonara cruising in paradise in cracking lift and stunning weather. I was joined by my best buddy Ian A and Nick (who went tandem paragliding first before flying his model) The lift is silky smooth and the landing area is huge and covered in soft heather but the sink can still be very strong if you go too far back.
This penultimate video is of our M60's racing as close we could along the edge of the huge cliff top. Diving down towards the beach and sweeping up the slope side hugging the hill and soon re-appearing to go around again.
Here is Ian's Jart (with a freshly sharpened nose) cutting through the air with ease. Ian's flying as ever is spot on.

Can't wait to visit The Gower again soon. Meet up with my very good friends in Wales and have a blast above one of the most stunning vista's in the UK.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant scenery and flying by you and Ian A.
    I can't believe how far out from the cliff you're flying it looks like you're almost in the water.
    Thanks for the entertainment old bean...

    ReplyDelete