Saturday 30 December 2017

Thursday Flying Session

Unlike my previous very windy flying session the day before with Rob Thursday weather was completely different. The wind was light and the sky was bathed in lovely warm winter sunshine.
Scott and Ian joined me up at Itford. I went fully kitted out for the cold which meant I was roasting when I reached the hill top and collapse in a heap of too much Festive cheer (must start that diet soon!).
It was a later than usual start and we started flying around 1.00pm. No gloves were needed and no hat. There were already some of the locals flying with there models getting a little bit too close to us especially as they were flying right at the top behind the trees.
I had my Expro which seemed to be the perfect machine for me with the generally light lift but bolstered by some nice winter thermals. Scott was trying to keep his light foamy up but it proved a little too light at times. Ian had his Starlight cruising around from thermal to thermal. I topped out around 100 metres and was getting bored floating around so I took Ian's advice and rigged my Valenta Carbonara. I was convinced the wind was too light for the Carbonara but as ever this huge model didn't fail to amaze me. She is heavy but very efficient and soared away in what must have been a 5 -6mph light breeze. Had a great time flying her and I feel we understand each other a bit better now. Lots of rudder in those turns needed but she has a real presence in the air - love it!
As the time ticked by the wind eased and the lift fizzled away. At times I could just about stay up with my Expro and having to tuck it into the hill just to stay airborne. Its silly how you can get excited over just gaining a metre in height and then getting disappointed making a turn and loosing it again.
These are the days that I really enjoy. Not masses of lift but enough. Where you have to fly accurately and use your whit's to find the lift and use it efficiently.
It was one of the most enjoyable days out for many months, just a pity we had such a poor turnout.

No comments:

Post a Comment