Friday 21 June 2019

Did nobody tell the weather that it's June?

I met up with Ian up at the Bwlch in South Wales on Monday. We had planned to meet on the Tuesday but the weather forecast did not look great so the decision was made to meet up on the Monday after a long drive up from Sussex. On the way me and Ian where discussing the weather as he was sitting in low cloud and rain (It is Wales, Ian) but I was travelling along in sunshine. Anyway we met up at The Bwlch and of course it was pissing it down, so we just sat in the car chatting until finally the rain stopped and the cloud rose a little to just over the tops of the giant wind turbines.
We trudged up the slope and along the face of Mickeys where it was blowing around 35mph. It was still spitting with rain and the wind chill made it feel like 5 degrees and yes, this was in the middle of June.
I was annoyed as I had dragged my Merlow F3F along with me but when I went to rig her one of the wing pins had pushed it way into the wing and there was no way I could get it out up on the side of the hill. Back into the bag with that model. I only had one other model with me, my newly built Phase 5. Well no option there then - just chuck it off!
Ian had his M60 with him as well as his Jart. The M60 was the model for the conditions. It screamed around and punched its way through the rough conditions.
After about an hour of the very cold conditions and with my fingers aching with the wind chill we decided to give into the weather and scuttled off back to our cars.

The Bwlch never fails to impress me with the huge hills and superb lift but the weather on the day just wasn't the best. I'm back off their again next month for a week so I hope to meet up with Ian again plus me old mate Steve from A470 Soaring.

No comments:

Post a Comment