Tuesday 21 May 2019

Phase 5 - Help Wanted !

Glued the bell crank assembly box today. It was nice and free when I dry fitted everything but now having glued it all together I think the bell crank is stiff. I think the ply sides are causing friction on the actual bell crank.

Now - Silly question coming...…..

Can you use a small amount of WD40 or an alternative lubricant that wont eat the ply / balsa now or in the future?

Here is where we currently are with the build of my Chris Foss Phase 5.

https://slopesoaringsussex.blogspot.com/p/chris-foss-phase-5-build-2019.html

UPDATE:

Tim removed the top section of balsa to see what was happening inside and this was enough to free up the bell crank mechanism inside. Just need to lightly glue a new section of balsa back in place.

3 comments:

  1. I have sent you a whatsapp message about WD40 Silicone spray which says it's safe on metal, plastic, rubber and wood !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have thought that any lubricant would make the wood swell and get tighter ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mark. It’s all sorted now. Took it apart and that freed up the mechanism fine. No lubricant needed in the end.

    ReplyDelete