Wednesday 13 February 2019

PhoenixMP Snowy - Complete

After seven months on the building board my Snowy is ready to fly.
At 880g with nose ballast, it is only 10g over Stan Yeo's suggested all-up-weight, that is in spite of using Solartex on the wing and front end of the fuselage. All things considered the kit went together very well, I just had to make a judgement where the plan conflicted with the instructions and where Stan had copied wing fitting details from his other kits that did not match Snowy's dowel and rubber band arrangement. When I pointed out to Stan that the 1/4 inch ply former F2 was 5mm too tall he quickly sent me a replacement and thanked me for pointing out the anomaly which no other customer had apparently spotted.
Working on the well established engineering principle that if a thing looks right it will work right this model should fly very well, at least within the expected performance parameters of a two-channel rudder/elevator trainer. The low wing loading will allow flying in marginal conditions (my favourite) where the wind/slope combination offers minimal lift and the challenge is to keep the model airborne for as long as possible.
It is currently set up with a 35mhz radio control system, but I can swap to 2.4GHz quite easily if required.
I added splash of colour to the underside to give a nice contrast when it's banking and looping through the sky.
Happy landings

Russell H

1 comment:

  1. Hi Russell, Yet again you build a brilliant model - it looks superb and I love the Solartex - as you know I've used it quite a bit in the past. Must see it flying soon eh ?

    ReplyDelete