Saturday 16 February 2019

My first attempt at building a Chris Foss 'Phase 6' with landing flaps

I might be ab le to fly an RC glider now and then but when it comes to building then I must admit I am at best a novice and at worst an complete idiot. So I thought it would be fun to do an Idiots guide to building a Phase 6 with landing flaps. Jump onboard and share a laugh along the way.

Read the instructions!

Well that's me buggered straight away because I either can't read instructions or my brain just tries to ignore them or just wait until you have completely mucked it up and then try and read the instructions. Told you, I'm an idiot!

Well lets give it a go...……

Step 1-

Find the four pieces of plywood fuselage sides and give them a good sanding to remove all the 'release agent' that is present. If you don't remove this then it will cause you trouble when trying to glue things to the fuselage in the future.
After the sides are rubbed down, simply glue the back two sections to the front two sections and leave to dry. I did have to give a little sanding even on this first part just to get the front and back sections to mate up together well.

Find the four lengths of leading and trailing edge and cut to nearly the right length. Apply lots of glue to the leading edge and trailing edges and rub in well. Lots of air bubbles in my foam edges. Then glue on your edges and fix with plenty of masking tape.

Time for a cuppa and leave to dry for a day (or in Pauly time around 3 or 4 hours!) When it comes to patience - well I have none. Just like a three year old waiting to open his presents that are under the tree. Stand away from the building board and leave things to dry (yes Dad!)

Back soon...…..

No comments:

Post a Comment