Tuesday 8 September 2015

The Dragon Roars

Wasn't sure if I was going to be able to fly today or not. Went off up to Ditchling Beacon to just see what the wind direction was and strength. To my surprise the wind was on the hill (NE) but not too strong. Rigged the Dragon mouldy and the Tracuer.
I said to myself 'Don't be a chicken and chuck the Dragon off'. Which I did and she went so well. Not great ridge lift but strong little thermals propping up the week ridge lift and giving me the ability to cruise around fast between thermals.
You know some days you go up on the hill and go through the motions with good lift and at the end of it you land, go home and that day is just like most the other times you have flown, well today was different - I felt I learnt so much! I feel I finally was understanding how the Dragon worked and I was in tune with it. The small thermals gave me an opportunity to turn those big wings into an effective thermal soarer. With lots more rudder and a heap of up elevator she was climbing well as I haven't managed before. When I then got plenty of height it was time to practice my aerobatics (which aren't very good at the best of times). I had been anxious about flying the Dragon inverted but today it just clicked. Every landing was on the button and where I wanted them to be.
Today was a very good day, a day that I will remember for so many reasons but today it all seem to come together and remind me why I love this sport so much !

1 comment:

  1. Great read mate and fab to know that however experienced you are you can keep pushing your personal boundaries and find new exciting ways to enjoy the hobby!

    ReplyDelete